Monday, November 3, 2008

On the eve of the presidential election...


I have a feeling that I'm going to witness history tomorrow. It's strange - something makes me excited and uneasy. It's an actual physical feeling, and I'm finding myself trying to absorb everything I can on what is about to happen.

No one really knows who is going to win. I remember four years ago thinking that the international newspaper I was reading had a typo in its headline as I could not fathom that Bush had come out victorious. But something about this year feels different, and I hope that I'm right.

Although I have always been proud of my country and my heritage, the overwhelming sense of national pride is something I'm finding difficult to contain. No matter who you support, Republican or Democrat, the amount of passion that people have shown for this election is something to behold. I don't know a single person who doesn't care about the election tomorrow. Friends of mine that have otherwise shown no interest in politics are proudly announcing that they have registered to vote for the first time in their lives and that they can't wait to cast their ballot. And that's something to be proud of in my book.

If all goes well, I'm looking forward to the direction my country is headed in. I'm ready for the rest of the world to once again see how amazing we truly are, and I know that Barack Obama is going to get the job done. See you at the polls!

No comments: