Sunday, February 17, 2008

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly = Totally French x Totally Awesome x Worth the $14 I paid to see it


I have a bad habit when it comes to seeing movies. If I say that I'm going to see a film, I've pretty much just said that I, in fact, won't be seeing said film and instead will complain about how I haven't seen it yet and then will never ever rent it on DVD.

When I was still in New York, I made a pretty good effort at breaking this habit. At one point, I was going to the movies maybe twice a week, sometimes on every day of the weekend. It helped that ticket prices aren't majorly expensive in New York, and I was lucky enough to have every amazing movie in the world being shown on my door step. However, in the past couple of years, there hasn't been a movie I've wanted to see as much as The Diving Bell and the Butterfly. Jean Dominique Bauby's story has interested me since I first saw the film's trailer back in August 2007, and it's taken me until now to FINALLY see the movie.

I was in the midst of packing and moving when the film was released in New York. Then while in Oklahoma City, I learned it was going to be released...the day after I left for Sydney. The film finally had its first showing last week, and I made it to the theater by Friday. And I have to say, it was totally worth the wait.

First off, if you haven't read Bauby's book of the same title, I suggest you do so before seeing the movie. However, the movie is still good even without knowledge of the text. I found the book allowed me to fill in holes that the film couldn't possibly explore, and let's face it: the problem with every book adaption to film is that the director can't possibly cover ever tiny detail that is featured in the book. For one, my favorite line was cut out (I'll get over it).

I don't want to go on and give a synopsis of the film because I want all my readers to actually go out and see it. For those of you writing it off as bourgie French film, you're right...BUT IT'S SO MUCH BETTER THAN THAT! I believe I'm in a phase of my life where I'm finally getting perspective on things, and that is exactly what this movie is about: perspective. Both literally and metaphorically.

Also, I'll have an Internet connection at my new home starting Thursday, so expect more frequent blog updates! Yeah!

No comments: