Monday, April 7, 2008

Lists.


While getting my hair cut on Saturday, the obligatory question once the stylist heard my accent was asked: "Where are you from?"

Then, she asked me something that no one has asked me since I left America - "what do you miss most?"

Well, here's my list:

1. I miss being able to call my family and friends whenever I feel like it. I'm now relegated to the brief window in the morning between when I leave my front door until I arrive at the train station. The time difference sucks - plain and simple.

2. I miss being around people who understand my sense of humor. I think my sarcasm comes across as rude in Australia. And for those of you who know me, you know it's virtually impossible for me to NOT be sarcastic.

3. Bodegas. In New York, you can't walk five feet without running into one. Sure, the milk on sale might be crunchy, but at least you can count on them to always have milk.

4. The New York subway. Now, I can honestly say that I NEVER thought that I would miss that sonofabitch, but man, you can't beat the convenience. There are subway stops everywhere, so no need to take a bus or walk for 30 minutes.

5. Really good pizza.

6. Living no more than 20 minutes away from some of the greatest friends in the world.

7. Only being a plane ride away from the Midwest.

8. Watching Strangers with Candy with Emily.

9. Watching the Food Network with Jessy.

10. Wandering around the West Village with Damien listening to him say "Not breadloaf, is baby!" about 50 million times in 37 minutes.

11. K-I-C-K-A-S-S cupcakes.

But most of all, I miss the energy of New York. No other city in the world has it - nothing seems impossible there. I can't wait to have that again.

P.S. My new hair cut rocks, by the way.

No comments: