Thursday, January 31, 2008

Admitting you actually like a Peter Gabriel song is like admitting you like poisoning bear cubs (originally posted April 4, 2006)

This weekend I made an important discovery about myself. I'm a Peter Gabriel fan. Well, I was a closeted Peter Gabriel fan up until last night, but regardless, I'm willing to step out of the shadows and proclaim my truth: I like the song "Solsbury Hill."

Admittedly, it's somewhat musically addicting. This song has the ability to be inserted into any slideshow, movie, film strip, or personal mental montage and evoke that feeling of 'things are changing, and they are changing for the better.'

I'm quite surprised that every Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan movie ever made doesn't include this song on the soundtrack. Can't you just see those two running through a crowded New York/Seattle/Where ever the fuck else they filmed movies about radio call-in shows and pervy e-mail relationships. Throw in a golden retriever and a cliche park (i.e. a CENTRAL one), and there you go. A Hanks/Ryan classic, complete with "Solsbury Hill."

However, there is a bit of shame I feel for having downloaded this song. "Sledgehammer" could have at least been written off as "Hey, it had a visually groundbreaking video" or "That song is a classic." But "Solsbury Hill"? It's like listening to Louie Armstrong, which inherently isn't a bad thing. But listening to Louie Armstrong, while sitting in a Starbucks, drinking a low-fat mochachino cold blast fusion electro shock espresso iced latte is dry heave inducing, and oddly enough, captures the essence of "Solsbury Hill."

But thank goodness I listen to an iPod, and not a boom box. I don't think the general crowd on the 8:00 a.m. uptown V train would appreciate my musical tastes if I was blaring out a song that could easily be described as "new age."

Oh. fuck. me. I just admitted I like a song within the "new age" genre. Pardon me. I'm gonig to throw myself off the Brooklyn Bridge. Right after I finish listening to Rod Stewart's greatest hits. By the way, does anyone know where to get a poncho dry cleaned?

No comments: